A Delicacy with Medicinal Benefits
Moroccan snail soup or babbouche is a unique and delicious dish made with snails, herbs and aromatic spices. It is a popular delicacy in Morocco and is believed to have medicinal properties. Usually made with coriander and fresh breadcrumbs, this soup is a must-try for anyone who loves Moroccan cuisine.
Moroccan snail soup is a delicacy enjoyed by many around the world. The combination of spices and herbs makes a comforting and nourishing meal that tastes as good as it does healthy. Whether you’re looking for a fun new dish to try or just curious about Moroccan cuisine, Moroccan snail soup is a dish definitely worth a try.
So let’s see how we can prepare Babbouche Soup;
- 1KG of cleaned snails
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- 1 orange peel
- 1 onion (chopped)
- some mint
- 2L of water
- 1 tablespoon ras el hanout (Moroccan spice blend)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Clean Snails using warm water and salt
- In a large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, chopped onions, minced garlic and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and all the spices (ras el hanot, Bay leaves, cumin, ginger, paprika, cinnamon, black pepper, orange peel, and salt) to the pot.
- Stir to combine and cook for 5-10 minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Add the washed snails to the pot, stirring to combine. Pour in the water and bring the soup to a simmer. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer the soup for about 1 hour, or until the snails are tender.
Once the snails are cooked, serve the soup hot, and garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Enjoy your delicious and authentic Moroccan Babbouche soup!